Have a question? Check out our frequently asked questions below. Or if you are looking for our “getting started resources” page, you can check that out here.
Don't hesitate to reach out if you need any assistance. We love to hear from you!
1) I want to start interviewing but don't know how to begin or how to approach studying.
2) How do I know when I’m ready to start interviewing?
Unfortunately, there is no magic formula you can follow to see if you are ready to interview. But there are things you can do to prepare. These include, practice problems, mock interviews (as part of our courses), online courses (we currently offer dynamic programming and recursion), Cracking the Coding Interview, InterviewCake, and Pramp.
3) I’m too nervous to interview. I’m so scared I’ll make a mistake and embarrass myself.
If nerves are holding you back from interviewing, you are not alone. This is one of the most common complaints we hear from software engineers looking to interview. Nerves and fear can be a huge stumbling block, but there are ways to overcome them and ace your interview. Please read: 4 Ways to Be Less Nervous for Your Interview.
4) During my software engineer interview I sometimes get stuck and I can’t recover.
This is where proper preparation can make all the difference in the world. If you have a game plan in place for solving problems, you can work your way out of any roadblock that may come along. Please read: Stuck on Coding Interview. We go over ways to get unstuck during your interview.
5) Do you offer discounts or promo codes?
One of our goals is to treat everyone fairly. This extends to the price as well, which why we do not offer coupons, discounts, or promo codes. One really great way to save money on multiple courses, is to purchase them during a course launch. We typically offer a reduced rate if you buy both at the same time.
6) I can’t afford 1:1 coaching or the courses, so what should I do to prepare?
If price is a big concern for you, there are other ways you can effectively study for your software engineer interview. Please visit https://www.byte-by-byte.com/interviewing-resources/ for a list of our favorite online resources (at affordable prices), including our free DP ebook & 50 questions guide.
7) I can't even get an interview with FAANG companies.
Not everyone will be able to land an interview with the top FAANG companies. That doesn’t mean you should give up. There are plenty of awesome companies you can work for that aren’t Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, or Google. Please read our article on why they aren’t necessarily the best places to work: https://simpleprogrammer.com/skills-dream-software-job/.
8) I work full time and lack motivation to study. Help!
Juggling the work/life balance is hard for everyone…especially when preparing for an interview. Please read this article: https://www.byte-by-byte.com/stop-procrastinating/. We go through a bunch of techniques to help motivate you to study and overcome procrastination.
9) I don’t understand recursion.
10) I don’t understand DP and really struggle with it.
11) I really want to ace my system design interview, but don’t know how.
Thankfully, system design is just a small part of the interview process and will not weigh all that heavily on whether or not you get a job offer. If you are really wanting to ace this part of the interview though, please watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VjKP0qSp94&t=14s where we go over everything you need to know to prepare.